Characteristics of Tai Hang Fire Dragon Dance
Every year in September and October in Hong Kong, when the Mid-Autumn Festival approaches, which is the three days of August 14th, August 15th and August 16th in the lunar calendar, Tai Hang residents will hold the annual Tai Hang Festival. Fire dragon dance performance. This year is no exception. As long as you visit Tai Hang during these three days, you can feel the liveliest Mid-Autumn Festival atmosphere and spend the most traditional Mid-Autumn Festival atmosphere with others!
More importantly, as long as you stay until the last moment of the fire dragon dance performance, you can receive the incense stick on the fire dragon, which means you will get good luck throughout the year.
Date and time of Tai Hang Fire Dragon Dance
The date and time of Tai Hang Fire Dragon Dance this year are the same as the Mid-Autumn Festival in previous years. They are all scheduled to be held on August 14th, August 15th and August 16th of the lunar calendar. That is, starting from September 28, 2023, until September 30, 2023. Starting around 19:00 every night, the fire dragon will travel through every major street in Tai Hang District, and finally cross the tramway and enter Victoria Park.
More Hong Kong specialty dining and food offers: Klook dining discount list
The best place to watch the Tai Hang Fire Dragon Dance
The entire Tai Hang Fire Dragon Dance venue includes Lotus Palace, Wan Sha Street, every major street in Tai Hang residential area, and Victoria Park. If you want to take a photo of the most energetic Tai Hang Fire Dragon Dance from the best location, you must arrange to go to the starting point at Wan Sha Street.
In addition, we will recommend you to wait at the corner of the sidewalk, so that you can enjoy more different forms of the Tai Hang Fire Dragon Dance from different angles.
Hong Kong attractions collection: The most complete list of Hong Kong attractions
Transportation for Tai Hang Fire Dragon Dance
There are many different modes of transportation to choose from to get to the Tai Hang Fire Dragon Dance venue. However, since there are so many people visiting the Tai Hang Fire Dragon Dance performance during the Mid-Autumn Festival, we recommend that you take the subway.
Starting from Tin Hau MTR Station, you can walk along Tung Lo Wan Road to the starting point of the Fire Dragon Dance on Wan Sha Street. Of course, you can choose to start from Causeway Bay MTR Station, but you will need to spend a little more time walking through Victoria Park to reach Wan Sha Street. It will take about 15 minutes to 20 minutes to walk.
More Hong Kong tickets and dining discounts: Klook Hong Kong Offers and Discounts List
The origin of the Tai Hang Fire Dragon Dance
It has a history of more than 140 years since the Tai Hang Fire Dragon Dance was first held. It is said that it was a festival held to combat a terrible plague at that time. Until now, the Big Dragon Dance and Fire Dragon Dance performance has become one of the most important performances during the Mid-Autumn Festival every year, and it is also the traditional cultural highlight that Tai Hang residents value most.
What’s so special about the Tai Hang Fire Dragon Dance?
The biggest feature of the entire fire dragon is that it is wrapped with pearl grass and filled with incense sticks. The total length of the Fire Dragon is 67 meters, with a total of 31 sections, which is longer than five two-decker buses combined. In addition, the head of the fire dragon alone weighs 48 kilograms. It is not a dance that can be danced by just one person, but a festival with more than 300 people participating at the same time. Therefore, the Tai Hang Fire Dragon Dance is not only the most traditional Mid-Autumn Festival event, but also one of the most lively ways to experience the Mid-Autumn Festival.
Things you need to pay attention to at the Tai Hang Fire Dragon Dance Venue
If it is your first time to watch the fire dragon dance show at the Tai Hang venue, you must arrive at the starting point of the Tai Hang fire dragon dance on Wan Sha Street early. Because there are so many people visiting Tai Hang Fire Dragon Dance every year, especially around 19:30 in the evening, the entire Tai Hang area will be filled with many onlookers. So if time permits, arrive at the Dakeng venue around 18:00 in the evening, and it will be easier to get a location that is most suitable for taking pictures.
In addition, since the entire Tai Hang Fire Dragon Dance performance is hosted by local residents, the entire festival will be held in Cantonese. If you don’t understand Cantonese, you can actually take a lot of photos of the dragon dance and feel the best festive atmosphere as long as you set off early to Wan Sha Street, which is the starting point of the Tai Hang Fire Dragon Dance.
The Mid-Autumn Festival is one of the most important traditional festivals in Hong Kong, and many people arrange different activities to celebrate it. Whether you are a resident living in Hong Kong or a tourist visiting Hong Kong from other places, you may wish to look up and admire the moon on the full moon day of the Mid-Autumn Festival. You will find another night view of Hong Kong that you have never seen before.
More information/pictures about Tai Hang Fire Dragon Dance: Tai Hang Fire Dragon HK
More useful articles on Hong Kong travel
Must-visit attractions in Hong Kong
- 60 Top Hong Kong Tourist Attractions & Best Places to Visit Recommended by Local Hongkongers
- 25 Things to do in Tsim Sha Tsui
- 15 Things to Do in Central Hong Kong
- How to get to Monster Building in Hong Kong? All You Need to Know Before You Go!
- Ngong Ping 360 Cable Car: Ticket Price, Opening Hours, Recommended Attractions
- Tai O Hong Kong: A Day Trip to Explore the Traditional Fishing Village
Hong Kong Accommodation Planning
- 15 Best Hotel in Hong Kong: From Budget Hotels to Luxury Hotel near Tsim Sha Tsui and Central
- Park Hotel Hong Kong Review: The Best Hotel near Tsim Sha Tsui MTR Station
- Sleeping in Hong Kong Airport: Where to Find Sleeping Pod, Showers, Food and More!
Planning before departure for Hong Kong travel
- Hong Kong Travel Guide for First-Timers: City Guide, Tips, Checklist
- Hong Kong Itinerary: Things to See and Do for 4 Days or Even More!
- How much does it cost for three days and two nights and four days and three nights in Hong Kong? A summary of travel budget discount packages!
- 7 Apps for Traveling in Hong Kong: Which Taxi, Bus, MTR, Maps, Weather Apps is THE BEST?
- Hong Kong Travel Tips: 3 Things to Know Before Travelling to Hong Kong
Hong Kong Traffic Planning
- Hong Kong Public Transportation: Complete Guide to Getting Around Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Airport Transfers: Complete Guide to Airport Bus, Taxi and Trains
- Complete Guide for Tai O Transportation: by Cable Car, Bus or Ferry
Authentic Hong Kong travel experience
- Hong Kong Food: 48 Must-eat Dishes Recommended by Local Hongkongers!
- Best 25 Hong Kong Street Food You Must-try and Where to Find Them
- What to Buy in Hong Kong? 30 Unique Souvenirs Only Available in Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Tram: Complete Guide to Riding DING DING Tram Like Local Hongkongers
Latest Hong Kong travel offers
- Klook Hong Kong Promo Code: Discount Code for New User!
- Agoda Promo Code: 60% OFF on Hong Kong Hotels Deals and More!
- Hong Kong Goodies: Limited HKD$100 CASH Coupon and Discount for Tourists!
- Hong Kong Tourist Prepaid SIM Card: Everything You Need to Know
- Hong Kong Airport Express: Latest Timetable, Fare & Extra 40% Ticket Discount!
- Octopus Card: Where to purchase, Top-up & How to Put Octopus on Apple Pay
More Hong Kong Travel information:
- Must-visit attractions in Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Accommodation Planning
- Planning before departure for Hong Kong travel
- Hong Kong food recommendation
- Hong Kong Traffic Planning
- Authentic Hong Kong travel experience
- Latest Hong Kong travel offers